If you get this error message, “Sorry it looks like you’re on a slow connection…,” Office is taking a really long time to install, or it appears to hang during the install, you may want to cancel the installation and then try some of the following solutions.
Try the following solutions
Are you trying to install Office on a Mac? If you’re trying to install Office on a Mac, follow the steps in Uninstall Office for Mac, and then restart the Office installation.
If you’re installing Office on a PC (desktop, laptop, or 2-in-1), try these solutions in the order listed.
1. Does Office hang or freeze at 90%?
If your Office installation hangs or freezes at the 90% mark as shown in the screen capture below, this could be because the Windows Installer is busy. For a possible solution, see Installation of Office hangs at 90%.
2. Restart your computer and check if Office installed
The Office installation may have completed. So, after you’ve restarted your computer, go to Can’t find Office applications in Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7? to see if Office actually did install.
3. Use a wired connection
If Office did not install, try to reinstall after switching to a wired connection. This can help speed up the installation because a wired connection is usually faster than a wireless one. After that, restart the Office installation.
4. If you’re on a slow internet connection, install Office using the offline installer
The Office offline installer may help bypass potential proxy, firewall, antivirus, or Internet connection issues that might occur during an Office installation.
For steps to install an offline version of Office, see Use the Office offline installer and select the correct tab for your version of Office.
If Office still isn’t installing, try some of the options below.
5. Temporarily turn off antivirus software
For information about how to turn off your antivirus software, check your antivirus manufacturer’s website. Uninstalling your antivirus software may also help. Don’t forget to reinstall it after Office is finished installing and if you turned it off, be sure to turn it on again.
If you’re not sure which antivirus software you have, use the following instructions to get to Control Panel to find the name of your antivirus software.
Tip: Windows 10 comes with default antivirus software, Windows Defender. If you determine that you’re using it, select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security, and then select Windows Defender on the left. Slide the button to Off. Remember to turn it On again. Select your operating system
6. Run online repair from Control Panel
- Open Control Panel, and select Programs and Features.
- In the Uninstall or change a program window, from the list find and select the Office product you’re trying to install.
- Tap or click Change, select Online Repair.
7. Remove and reinstall Office
Completely remove Office using the easy fix tool and then reinstall it.
Tip: Do you have an HP 4500 or HP 8500 OfficeJet printer and trying to install Office? If so, stop the spooler service before you start installing Office again.
- Click the button below to download and install the Office uninstall support tool.
- Follow the steps below to download the uninstall support tool according to your browser. Tip: The tool may take a few minutes to download and install. After completing the installation, the Uninstall Office products window will open. Edge or Internet ExplorerAt the bottom of the browser window, select Run to launch the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.chrome the lower-lower left corner right-click SetupProd_OffScrub.exe > Open.firefox the pop-up window, select Save File. Next, from the upper-right of the Firefox browser window, select the downloads arrow and then select SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- Select the version you want to uninstall, and then select Next.
- Follow through the remaining screens and when prompted, restart your computer. After you restart your computer, the uninstall tool automatically re-opens to complete the final step of the uninstall process. Follow the remaining prompts.
- Select the steps for the version of Office you want to install or reinstall. Close the uninstall tool.Office 365 | Office 2019 | Office 2016 | Office 2013 | Office 2010 | Office 2007 | office.com/setup